Sunday, March 23, 2014

Duck Redux

"When I see a duck, I get an insatiable urge to kill and eat"--Russell Chatham

My buddy down the street and I have been cooking together for 35 plus years, in Alaska in the 70's we focused mainly on salmon and halibut, in Sonoma County in the 80's it was seafood again, plus we had a very large garden where he grew some excellent vegs. Here in Montana one of our favorite things to prepare is duck.

Last night we had duck again, first time since Thanksgiving. We've developed a method that has worked well, turning out a bird with a crispy skin and tender, smoky meat.






First, I brine the duck in a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar and various spices. I usually throw a couple dried Thai chilies in the brine for good measure. It stays in the brine overnight on the back porch, it's usually colder than the fridge.

Then I deliver it to him, he places it in his smoker on low (150f) heat with either alder, apple or hickory wood, replenishing the wood every few hours, letting it smoke overnight.

In the afternoon I make wild rice, soaking first in water brought to boiling then letting is sit for a half hour, draining and replacing the water with a stock from a previous duck dinner that's been in the freezer. It sits in the near-boiling stock for another half hour, then drained.





We cut the duck in half length-wise, slap the halves onto plates, add the rice and whatever veg he's cooked (yesterday it was asparagus, sauteed with garlic and olive oil), and fall to.

An hour later, the wine glasses smeared with grease, we burp, grunt and moan. Our shirts can best be described as soiled. We plop on the sofa in the living room and stare into middle distance. He turns to me with a bleary look. "Whatever happened to that one woman, that nurse....?" he mutters.

15 comments:

  1. Introduce him to that meter maid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good looking cooked duck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds good. It's as rare as hen's teeth for me to get duck, but always a treat. If there are any leftovers, I have a Thai curry recipe that specifically calls for duck. Not to brag, but I've received marriage proposals for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way we ever have leftovers with duck is if we cook two, which we did at Thanksgiving. Last time I did, I made a version of mu shu, using good tortillas and a plum sauce.
      David lived several months in Thailand a few years ago, and took a couple cooking classes, he does it well, but it's hard to get some ingredients here.

      Delete
  4. My goodness. Real men who cook, too. If I liked duck I believe I might like that duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't like duck, eh?
      Yeah, both of us do like to cook. When the kids were young we once made them go camping on Thanksgiving just so we could do a turkey in a dutch oven over coals. The wives passed.

      Delete
  5. Oh, my. Another gourmet for my collection. I usually don't liked smoked meat (or poultry) but I might take a second look at that duck of yours.

    And the nurse comment was c-l-a-s-s-i-c! I believe I have known guys like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and I share a long history, you may have met us at the Salty Dog in Homer AK in '76...

      Delete
  6. Oh my for the first time in years I'm seriously questioning my decision to give up goose and duck hunting. ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB....actually the duck came from walmart. I've found wild ducks don't have enough fat to smoke well....the way I cook wild ones is a really hot (500f) oven, coated with butter and spices, until rare, around 35 minutes.

      Delete
  7. Have only had duck once, and it was a rather "meh" experience.

    Wild RICE, now, that's another story. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever out this way, let me know. You can sit there and demurely nibble rice while we act like barbarians.

      Delete