Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Fresh vegs!

There is a paucity of fresh fruit and vegs here, at least what I call fresh. Picked a month ago and stored in an oxygen-free container and shipped several hundred miles does not count. But Saturday was the opening day of the Farmer's Market, which will be open every Saturday until the end of Sept.


Hanging baskets and starter plants from a local nursery


And my favorite, from a farm near Missoula. The Hmong farmers came over in the late 70's, and grow the best vegetables in the state. At this time of year it's mostly greens, rhubarb, young garlic and Morel mushrooms they've garnered from the forests.

Armed with some purple asparagus and morels from the Hmongs


I made asparagus and mushroom cream soup. A first for me, and surprisingly easy.


My buddy the cook down the street agreed, it was one of my better efforts ever.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's funny. Asking him for recipes :) at most you'll get some of this, a pinch of that. a few dollops of this other thing. cook it and serve.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hah. That's pretty much what I said to John.

      Delete
  2. Can't ever have too much asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful. Fresh fruit and veg are the best.

    I lived in Providence, RI when the first Hmong people arrived. The city opened a large part of Roger Williams Park for them to garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting to look at immigration attitudes then and now. In 1975 we got it right, now not so much.

      Delete
  4. The Hmongs grow some great crops on California also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing opium gives you a good background in farming, for sure.

      Delete
  5. I love farmer's markets! And co-ops that sell local fruits and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.... my wife will go crazy looing at all these fresh vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you getting any of the heatwave I'm hearing about in the news? Isn't monsoon season coming up soon?

      Delete
  7. I haven't found a good farmer's market down here, yet! I miss having one 2 days a week that was a mile from my house and I would often walk there.

    ReplyDelete