Sunday, April 6, 2014

CPR...Better than Nothing, But.....

Rather than get depressed about the sight of snow flurries outside my window, I'll see if I can't make your day a bit more sobering.

CardioPulmonary Resuscitation is historically fairly new; Safar et al showed in the 50's it could be effective as a method, and it became more widely used during and after Viet Nam. (About the only good thing that wars do is further medical science) It has evolved and changed over the years, the most recent update in technique was from the American Heart Association a couple years ago.

Put simply, it's a way of maintaining some circulation to critical areas (heart muscle, brain) until either the heart re-starts, or more definitive medical measures can occur.

It is done by compressing the sternum enough (generally, 2 inches in adults) to squeeze the left ventricle of the heart, pushing blood out the aorta and hopefully to needed areas. Ventilation of the lungs occurs either by mouth-to-mouth, or preferably with a mask/bag, like an Ambu bag. The ventilation part of CPR has been somewhat 'downgraded' in importance, at least in CPR lasting less than 5 minutes.

Now the sobering part: just how effective is CPR? The quick answer is 'better than nothing'. If the heart stops pumping, fewer than 1% will spontaneously re-start. So statistics have been compiled over the past years, and it divides the event into ones that occur out in the general community, and those occurring in a hospital.

As you can imagine, the ones that occur in a hospital have a higher recovery rate. Here's the statistics compiled by the AHA:

Statistical UpdateOut-of-Hospital Cardiac ArrestIn-Hospital Cardiac Arrest
IncidenceBystander CPR
(overall)
Survivor rate*
(overall)
IncidenceSurvival rate*
AdultsChildren
2013359,40040.1%9.5%209,00023.9%40.2%
2012382,80041.0%11.4%209,00023.1%35.0%
    *Survival rates represent survival to hospital discharge

A couple things stand out: Only 40 percent of cardiac arrest occurring out of hospitals have CPR performed. This is somewhat skewed, many are not witnessed, the person is alone, driving, or something else where no one is around. Of those where CPR does occur, the survival rate is roughly 10%.

You notice also the survival rate in children is much higher. Likely because fewer of them have an underlying heart condition, the heart stoppage is more likely from an accident, or electrical shock, hence the heart is more likely to re-start.

This pretty much correlates with my personal experience. I've probably done more than 200 CPR procedures, only two were not in a medical center. Neither of those two survived.

Now, what is a lot more successful is defibrillation.  Once only available in hospitals, now many areas have portable defibrillators in public places. The principal is that a electrical shock sent through the heart muscle can cause the heart's own electrical system to start working. Statistics are not available yet, but it appears to be much better than only CPR.

I once did a series of measurements of cardiac output (how much blood is being pumped by the heart) during CPR. We used the thermodilution method, and found the average cardiac output was 0.4 liters per minute during CPR. Normal output is around 4-6 liters per minute.

What that tells me is that extended CPR, lasting longer than 15 minutes without the heart re-starting, will rarely be successful. Also, the brain will be without oxygen for that period, and will be damaged. I'm certainly not suggesting that you not do CPR, it should be done until medical personnel arrive. Every once in awhile it'll work and a life is saved.



So CPR has a low success rate, but it's a lot better than nothing.

If you're interested, the current guidelines can be found here:

http://www.cprcertificationonlinehq.com/aha-cpr-guidelines-latest-jan-2014/
 

20 comments:

  1. That roughly ten percent survival and discharge rate is roughly 34,000, and that's more people than I know, so keep it up, America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had the training many times while I served in the Army, but I have not had the opportunity to use CPR. That is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son who was a Ranger, said in his three deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq only had to use it once.

      Delete
  3. Mike:

    Our local YWCA has offered my company a free defib machine/kit and training. I've signed up for their course. Thank you for this post. I'm passing it on to the president of the society and the B of D, in hopes more will agree to take the training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, I have a defibrillator implanted in my chest. Got the first one back in 2007. It's never had occasion to shock me, in spite of my decadent lifestyle. But it's good to have it there, waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be curious to know if they've had to change the lead, or just the battery/sensor. Glad it hasn't fired, pal.

      Delete
  5. Although I know how to do it I still hope I never have to do so.

    Now I'm going back to looking outside in hope of seeing green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put flowers from the store in the windows to block the view of the snow, if that's helpfu.

      Delete
  6. Well. That is discouraging. I can do CPR, but haven't yet had to. I do know to sing "Staying Alive" in my head though, for the right pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picturing Travolta dancing while resuscitating, there's a thought.

      Delete
  7. As a former first responder, EMT, and basic human being, the need to "do something!" is strong. It's like walking a colicky horse. It may not do much good, but it makes you feel better. I have had to do it because of protocol, not because there was a chance it just might work, but a 10% chance is better than no chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That's why once I did CPR for an hour, solo, on a remote Alaska highway, then for another 45 minutes in a huey to Elmendorf AFB, when the ER doc physically stopped me. It's what we do.

      Delete
  8. As you know, I am a nurse
    Done it many times
    Once on a bulldog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding...cool! How? Did you do ventilation, if so, how? What position was the dog?

      What's your experience with success rate? Large medical center, small hospital?

      like your blog.

      Delete
  9. Well that was discouraging. :-)

    While once taught CPR, I've never had to do it. Here's to hoping that I will CONTINUE never having to do it...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spouse and I took a "how to" class many years ago. I'm no long sure I remember show. Not good....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd remember if you needed to, TB.

      I really enjoyed your post about the Campbell river, Vancouver Is, from Campbell river up to Port Hardy is one of my favorite areas.

      Delete