Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Exploring OC

We went to San Juan Capistrano, a short distance from our base.  I had visited the mission in 1971, but apparently forgotten any details. This statue struck a chord with me, the role of the Catholic church in general, and Father Serra's part in particular, of the subjugation and exploitation of the Native tribes.


I dubbed this one "I give you the gifts of slavery and smallpox." 

The Catholic church made this fellow a saint. Here's an example of his writing:  "that spiritual fathers should punish their sons, the Indians, with blows appears to be as old as the conquest of the Americas; so general in fact that the saints do not seem to be any exception to the rule."
PBS  'The West'

9 comments:

  1. Well...hmmmm...that wasn't exactly my first interpretation of the statue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well I tend to be rather harsh in my view of the church.

      Delete
    2. So do I, with good reason. The statue gives me the creeps.

      Delete
  2. Apparently, "saint" has a lot of different meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how long until his statue is replaced, do you suppose in our effort to tidy up history?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the church has already made him a saint, it might be awhile. I'm not sure it'd be 'tidying up' history, maybe recognising what actually happened in history vs. the church's version.

      Delete
  4. It's too bad the Native Americans didn't build that border wall while there was still time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      Emily (the youngest) got me a t-shirt some years ago, a picture of 4 probable SW Indian men taken around the turn of the century, holding rifles, with the caption: "Fighting Terrorism Since 1492"

      Delete