Tuesday, February 2, 2016

How Time Changes....

The US 70 years ago:



How the World views us now:


America's Agitator: Donald Trump Is the World's Most Dangerous Man

America's Agitator: Donald Trump Is the World's Most Dangerous Man
AFP
Donald Trump is the leader of a new, hate-filled authoritarian movement. Nothing would be more harmful to the idea of the West and world peace than if he were to be elected president. George W. Bush's America would seem like a place of logic and reason in comparison. Der Spiegel, 2/1/16

How We View Ourselves:



Ok, well then wherein lies the reality?  Before you start saying "Oh, that's just extremes, we're really just nice people, moderate, nothing like people think."  Really?   Tell me about Texas, Utah, Nevada, the 'open carry' movement. Tell me about the roughly 30% of republicans that support Trump. Tell me about the despicable Mr. Cruz, and his views on anyone not like him or his supporters (another roughly 30% at present).  Tell me about the 300 million guns out there in private ownership, tell me about the NRA who gains support and money with each school massacre. Tell me about our two political parties, one seemingly mostly rabid misogynists and racists, the other cowering and saying 'don't hurt me' to anyone with conservative leanings. Tell me about the people, a lot of them, who think our constitution and laws were handed down by god. 

"...what rough beast is this, it's hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?"
Yeats


17 comments:

  1. One might think this was the twenties and thirties in the Weimar Republic. It surely isn't such a deep economic crises and the roots of democracy are deep rooted and yet......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we're not having to take wheelbarrows of cash to buy a loaf of bread, but our taste in leaders seems to be taking a real bad turn, you're right.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading some Aldous Huxley books this winter; the great ones make the obvious feel like something you thought of yourself.

    “A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy.”

    ― Aldous Huxley, Ends and Means

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eisenhower warned of this when he left office, and we're just taking a different route; we're busy making corporate america our government.

      Delete
    2. An article written in 2014 by Mike Lofgren on Bill Moyer's Journal is as relevant today as it was then. It's pretty interesting if you have a little time.

      Delete
  3. The Der Spiegel quote is chillingly telling. Even more fearful in my estimation is the ascent of Cruz. Whenever there is thought of him, evil comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Cruz is far more dangerous than Trump; he has a greater chance of being elected.

      Delete
    2. Agreeing to both of you, I wonder: How can so many obviously stupid, imbecile, ignorant and illiterate men attract so many Americans to consider them an option?

      Delete
  4. I find myself in agreement with Der Spiegel and it is weird that I find Rubio refreshing compared to Trump and Cruz (I'm not sure which one I'm the most afraid of, but probably Cruz).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Rubio damn near as repugnant as either of the two bozos ahead of him. If I had to pick a 'publican, I'd go with Jeb, at least he'd probably not leave a pile of rubble or a police state when he exited office.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I'm old and hope I don't witness the final downfall of Amerika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but I worry about my kids and grands too.....

      Delete
  6. Not sure about worst, but it's certainly resisted attempts to reverse it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often think of the comic series Transmetropolitan and the Queensryche song Revolution Calling in context of the modern 'Merican landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kids and grandkids are going to have to sort this all out themselves.

    And as for the turn to the extreme right, it was Reagan that spawned that, in spite of his "nice guy" image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kids and grandkids are going to have to sort this all out themselves.

    And as for the turn to the extreme right, it was Reagan that spawned that, in spite of his "nice guy" image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trusting that mainstream GOP voters have no more desire to see most of these "candidates" in office, then we do. Great post!

    ReplyDelete