Monday, November 28, 2016

Since we're all doomed...

Like Grgory Peck's character, the Naval Captain in command of the last US vessel in existence after WW3, facing the end of the world, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist. The movie, I recommend highly, is the adaptation of Nevil Shute's "On the Beach". Even has the great dancer, Fred Astaire, in a fairly major role.

So here I am, looking out at what should have started over two months ago:


Having a glass of this:


Watching this:


The BBC series, the best of the lot.  BTW, the most recent "Tinker, Tailor..." was a good movie, but nobody is George Smiley except Alex Guiness. 

Escapism today, reality tomorrow. Or next week. I'll get back to you on that.




14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I read an interview with LeCarre (David Cornwall, I think), where he said after the BBC episodes he couldn't write another Smiley novel, he could only picture Alec Guiness, and somehow that prevented him from writing.
      Pity.

      Delete
  2. Have you already enjoyed sitting through Tinker Tailor? Alec Guinness was the Best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guiness was Smiley!
    You are cocooning well. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, my central costal California friend. I'm lookling outside at 24f, snow on the ground and streets. As it should be this time of year.

      Delete
  4. I've read "On the Beach" but haven't seen the movie. Pour me up a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another book by Shute that I found excellent is "A Town Called Alice".
      Sure, kick your shoes off, we'll toss the cork away.

      Delete
  5. On the beach...one of Ava Gardeners better movies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a good job on that one, didn't she John? That scene at the rail station when she met him, and the one at the vacation scene, where she made the jump to his family is just waiting, back there in the holocaust.
      A great performance.

      Delete
  6. Love wine and the BRitish series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop by, it's 11 degrees f. as I look, getting dark at 5, and snow covered roads. I'll have some BBC series on.

      Delete
  7. That looks and sounds like a great escape. Normally, I would have added "except for the snow." Right now we'd take water in any form. Enjoy yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah.

    But I do like Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin!

    ReplyDelete