Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Perspective may not be helpful here.......


It helps a little bit being over 70 and having lived through Nixon, Reagan and Bush, though this asshole seems to be in a league of his own, as sociopaths often are. 59 Million voting Americans choose him on their ballot.  Probably most of those millions don't consider themselves racist, or xenophobic, or woman-haters. I'm sorry, but if you're voting for someone who is, yes, that makes you the same. 

It seems incredible, but north of 59 million people voted for someone who in the last year has said the things he's said, and told the lies he's told. 

Remember a month or so ago when Trump suggested that "one of the second amendment people might take care of the Hillary problem."?   Hmmmmmmmm.......

This morning in the SF Chronicle, Garrison Keillor wrote:

"Alas for the Trump voters, the disasters he will bring on this country will fall more heavily on them than anyone else. The uneducated white males who elected him are the vulnerable ones and they will not like what happens next.

Don't be cruel. Elvis said it and it's true. We all experienced cruelty back in our playground days, boys who beat up on the timid, girls who made fun of the homely and naive, and most of us, to our shame, went along with it, afraid to defend the victims lest we become one of them. But by your 20s, you should be done with cruelty. Mr. Trump was the cruelest candidate since George Wallace. How he won on fear and bile is for political pathologists to study. The country is already tired of his noise, even his own voters. He is likely to become the most intensely disliked president since Hoover. His children will carry the burden of his name. He will never be happy in his own skin. But the damage he will do to our country -- who knows? His supporters voted for change, and boy, are they going to get it."

22 comments:

  1. I have said enough on the subject....I hope things get better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's weird here, John. Little I thought was dependable turns out to be so. And now we have a complete fucking buffoon as president.
      And the guy Jon, Lone Wolf something blog, I completely lost it with him over his latest post.
      You'd think by my age I'd be a bit more tolerant.

      Delete
  2. I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night,
    Alive as you and me.
    Says I "But Joe, you're ten years dead"
    "I never died" said he,
    "I never died" said he.

    Don't mourn, organize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Republicans, especially Trump, figured out one thing that served them well: Truth doesn't matter . . . you just fish for people's emotions and watch them take the bait. People want to believe what suits them, and they do. All that talk about principles and family values was just that -- talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did it escape everyone's attention that last night was also the anniversary of Kristalnacht, in '33?

      Delete
  4. My considered and scholarly analysis: Mike, we're in deep doo-doo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a spare pair of gortex waist waders, Geo. Hell, I have Amazon Prime, have them there in a couple days.

      Oh, I was not kind to our mutual blogger Jon in his most recent post. I just can't contain myself some time, in the face of what I consider evil.

      Delete
    2. Mike, I wasted most of today being angry at 59 million people at once. I now feel lousy. Best defense is a glass of pinot noir and a Netflix "Murdoch Mystery" --to both of which I shall presently repair, and hopefully repair my equilibrium. Go thou and do likewise.

      Delete
  5. At least when you wake up from a nightmare it is fleeting. This nightmare is just beginning and long-lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And imagine if you will, those really affected by it. The poor, ones who can't get health insurance without ACA, etc.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Mike.
    Despite the outcome yesterday, we need to remember more Americans voted against Trump than for him. We are in good company. We have been knocked down, but it will require our energy to prevent being knocked out. Thanks for sharing Garrison Keillor's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for your post today, your knowledge about Trump and his past really help put things in perspective.

      Delete
  7. I'm beyond depressed at this point. Mostly just numb.

    It's going to be a rough 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could be odder than you imagine, Jennifer.

      Delete
  8. There must be a reason that this trend is sweeping the world. This is for me, a Brit, more or less a rerun of Brexit with the dirty lies, racism and xenophobia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comes in waves, doesn't it? Look at the nationalism that swept through Europe from the late 1700's through WW1.

      Delete
  9. No joy in Mudville tonight.

    Tomorrow's another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, tis.
      How you doing, Martha? I'm sitting here, dark outside on a Montana evening nearing 7pm. It's warmer than it should be, and my house is quiet and too still.

      Delete
  10. I took the day off to mourn. I just can't wrap my mind around what has happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's affecting my youngest a lot, she's in a bad state emotionally. She's 29, and smart. This has floored her in a way she's not experienced before.

      Delete
  11. Well said, as always. Thank you for your service, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Service? Writing this isn't hard, I just type whatever is crossing my little mind at the moment and push 'publish'.

      Delete