Monday, May 7, 2018

Update

My youngest, Emily, of whom I've written about many times here, is the reason for my extended absence here and extended time away from Montana.


A couple months ago, she suddenly started having persistent vision disturbances, she describes it as a overlay of static-type as from an old tv, over everything she sees, and a few other vision issues. A ophthalmologist confirmed her eyes were normal. That leaves brain.  After a negative CT, she had an MRI which showed a meningnoma near the optic center, and the carotid artery. This is the most common type of brain tumor. It also showed a chiari malformation, which can also affect vision, among other things. Another possibility is a type of migraine vision issue, in her case without the headaches. It's also atypical in that it is 24/7 for the last couple months, but not unheard of. 

She's currently going through a series of appointments, second opinions, etc. Next up is a neurosurgeon. 

Pretty much that's all I know for now. She is taking it remarkably well, considering she had to drop out of university because she can't read, so she's on medical leave as a student. 

More at some other point. I still read your posts once in a while. I'm staying with the oldest, alas on the opposite side of Seattle, so I have a long commute some days. 

Take care. 

10 comments:

  1. Mike, take care of Emily. And don't neglect to take care of yourself. She has much to go through. So do you. My thoughts and hopes are with you both, and with the surgeons. The road to recovery may be long. Be prepared to take the wheel. All, all, my best wishes are secured with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be worrisome and difficult for both of you. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best to all of you. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike our thoughts and hope are with you and Emily. Do the best to maintain yourself as you and your family go forward. We wish you God Speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes to Emily, and you too. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your support for Emily, means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you both the very best for a quick and happy result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts are with Emily and your entire family. I'm serious about that. Remember to take care of yourself also Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thoughts are with you and I hope all is well with her scans. JFC nothing worse than a child falling seriously ill.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete