Saturday, July 23, 2016

Politics or food, politics or food.....

Let's ignore for the moment the events of the 'repubs and 'dems conventions, and focus on something really important.

Pork Shoulder Roast.


At the end, after it's been 'pulled', and paired with pinto beans, rice and salad, with a nice hot salsa as a side, it looks like this:



One of the best things about it, other than the taste and the fact you'll eat too much of it, is how easy it is to prepare. Here's my method:

Coast a pork shoulder with some commercial pork rub, any will do. I've used several different ones, they all turn out fine. 

Put the roast in one of those baking bags, I use the turkey size ones, tie it off, cut the plastic off near the tie (comes with the bags), put one small slice in the top of the bag, put it in the oven at 275f for 4 to 5 hours.  Cut it out of the bag, toss the bag, cover with bbq sauce, again I don't think it makes much difference which one, turn oven up to 300 for maybe an hour, take out, let cool for a few minutes, and pull it apart. 

Serve with sides of your choice. Potato salad is good, cole slaw is good, etc. I'm partial to pinto beans. 



9 comments:

  1. I always use the crock pot. Trying this one tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like to tastes like Louisville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never sure how one of those southern areas vary from the others. I know S. Carolina bbq sauce is a more mustard based, but that's about it.

      Delete
  3. You convinced me. We are going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn you! We went to a fast food place for the first time in a long time today for a delicious double cheeseburger with bacon and raw onion with fries and a Coke on the side. Delicious! Then tonight I just had some microwave popcorn and a beer. Now I read your blog and I'm slavering again. Bring. It. On.!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Just got back to Butte and found there is a new burger joint that's supposed to be good. That's my lunch tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! I am officially hungry now. That looks really good!

    ReplyDelete