Sunday, March 27, 2016

Jim Harrison 1937-2016

There are few writers that I've enjoyed and learned from more than Jim Harrison. Probably best known for the film "Legends of the Fall", a movie taken from a novella, his best works rarely achieved a wide audience. "Dalva" is an excellent novel, and perhaps the best writing I've read where the author writes in a voice of the opposite sex.

His book about food, "The Raw and the Cooked..." details his love affair with food and drink that includes meals taken with Orson Welles and other notables, and makes one wonder what it is  like to sit down in front of a kilo of beluga caviar and a fifth of vodka with Jack Nicholson.


If you haven't read his works, it's not too late.  

8 comments:

  1. A loss, certainly. A life from which the world gained. Last night I phoned my friend Willie in Sonoma --also born in 1937-- and he talked about the future. The '30s turned out some very resilient people --tough as nails and they know what love is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the rec. Mike I checked "Dalva" on Goodreads and it has a very high rating. I will order it from library.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine around Houston is a huge fan of Harrison. I'll have to read him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never too late. At least until the sight goes or the lights go out. Hopefully, I've got a little while to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments.
    Little he wrote is not worth the time to read, but I think among his best: Dalva, True North, Brown Dog and In Search of Small Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting-thanks for the tip, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Btw I can see your posts back as far as the David Bowie one

    ReplyDelete