Thursday, October 20, 2022

The news, and insomnia

 Lately, I've been sleeping poorly, nothing really new. But I've gotten into a pattern of waking at 5am after a fitful night. I turn off the cpap, get up, turn on the radio to NPR and lay back down, hoping for an hour or so more sleep. 

The news doesn't help. 


Ukraine....the war, Putin's veiled threats to use tactical nuclear weapons. The war's effects on the world, food shortages, inflation, two bags of groceries for $100 here. Not conductive to sleep.


Britain... since brexit, they've imploded. 5 Prime Ministers in 6 years. Vieing for Italy in government changes per year. Our closest ally, near collapse. 


And here...this, our country. It's unrecognizable to me anymore. We have lost what it means to be a democracy, and a sizable part of the country does not want a democracy. Tens of millions want a minority ruled autocracy, where the minority views, right wing, are the rule of law. 

Here's what I wonder...now, I could turn off the radio, silence NPR. I could stop looking at the internet, FB, the NYTimes, etc. I could listen to music, watch movies. I could make myself believe the events of the world outside my door had nothing to do with me. 

I could keep up the illusion, try to ignore the prices of groceries, gas. Not talk to my daughters about their fears for themselves in the new America. 

How long? How long before it can't be ignored? How long before there is a knock on the door, and two men with a clipboard ask if it's true I voted democrat? Did I ever know anyone in this country illegally? Did I know anyone who's gotten an abortion?

You tell me. 

 




6 comments:

  1. Vote, Mike, vote, blue down the line. I hope you have put your days to good use, phone duty for your candidates. You still have two weeks! We'll reconvene November 9th and take stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preaching to the choir, Joanne. Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  2. These are worrying times. We have learned that democracy is so fragile in the presence of a demagogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well AC, I may be asking for a reference when I fill out my immigration request form.

      Delete
  3. Agree completely with your sentiments Mike. The country is heading off the rails.

    ReplyDelete