Sunday, October 1, 2017

A first: a repost

This was posted a year ago, and seems more pertinent today.

National Anthem/Patriotism/Military/Protest


It seems to have gone on forever, this linking protests and actions like Colin Kaepernick's and John Carlo's of decades ago (who I've met, and was a fine guy) with showing disrespect for people in the military or who have been in the military.  I'm having none of it. 

I was in the military, and was in one of our countries fine little wars, part of 1966 through most of '68, with a short recess in Bethesda Medical Center. To say that someone who is protesting the way our country has treated and is treating minorities is somehow insulting me by choosing to not stand for the national anthem is bullshit. 

In fact, if the national anthem is somehow linked to the war we waged in Vietnam, I ain't standing either. We barged into the middle of a civil war that had been going on for decades on a trumped up charge (Gulf of Tonkin Incident) and probably supported the wrong side.  The 'domino theory', that if South Vietnam fell to the North communism would spread around the globe was a load of crap. 

Just speaking for myself here. Only three other vets I know about that read this, and I don't speak for them.  If somehow not standing during the anthem can move us one micrometer forward in the arena of racism, I'm sitting too.   

Cheers,
Mike

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie. Hope you're well. As of a Monday eve, it's snowing.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Symbols is what we've become, what defines us. The flag, the song, etc....

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your service Mike. And thoughtful view also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take the thanks for my views, TB. Appreciate. Thanks for service is just as due to you, for your years as a teacher and educator. You did more good in those years than I did in my military service.

      Delete
  4. A repost.
    Nothing has changed.
    Even the battle lines are fading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...battle lines being drawn
      nobody's right, when everybody's wrong
      Young people speaking their mind..."
      Buffalo Springfield

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the repay Mr.M. I remember the first one.

    Devotion to scraps of cloth, a dangerous obsession.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in touch with a number of vets and vet groups (twitter, what can I say?) and they are all for taking a knee, or sitting. Consider protest a right, and honor it. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to comment, but I'm glad you re-posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can speak for me anytime my friend. I totally agree with what you said.

    Merely taking a knee, is just about the most respectful protest a person can make. It's been said a thousand times that "taking a knee" has nothing to do with the military, flag, country, yada yada yada. It has to do with the rampant inequity between the races in this country. To me, it can be summed up into one word. RACISM!

    The best article I've read on this subject was titled "Colin Kaepernick, The Hero We Didn't Know We Needed."

    ReplyDelete