Tuesday, December 22, 2015

A lull before Christmas

It wasn't snowing for a change this morning, so after coffee I took a drive to the east on state highway 2, winding up into the Highland mountains. The roads were not bad after I got out of my neighborhood.


The Highlands have picked up a few feet of snow in the last couple days


By the time I got back to town the skies had cleared, though it didn't last long


Within a hour or so the low clouds had come back, with flurries of snow. 
It's been reminding me of some paintings by an artist I like, Russell Chatham. Here are two:



Chatham lived in Livingston, to the east of Bozeman. For years he owned the sole decent restaurant in Montana, flying in fresh seafood weekly from Florida and Seattle. My buddy and I took the 120 mile drive several times for an evening meal. 




12 comments:

  1. I'd drive twenty miles for good seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how beautiful snow is if you don't have to be anywhere in particular.

    The paintings are beautifully subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only good seafood restaurant, maybe, there are lots of very good restaurants in Montana I am also a big fan of Russell Chatham.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Ok, I'll agree there are some great steak places, the one in Manhattan being at the top of the list, but name a really good Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc....I don't mean edible, I mean Seattle/San Francisco good.
      Lots of good burgers though.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. The road east over the highlands isn't well traveled, but great viewpoints.

      Delete
  5. You sound like a Texan. They drive 150 miles for lunch and then 150 miles back home. 'Course it only takes 'em a little over an hour each way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord, Bruce. That's a major insult in Montana....or Alaska, or...well, most other states.
      I think Montana was the only state that had a speed limit that legally could be interpreted as 'no speed limit'.

      Delete
  6. I do. It's easy to forget sometimes, seeing the same view each day on the way to the food market or bakery. Some have a very different view, not all see deer, elk or moose occasionally from their front window.

    ReplyDelete